DynaTrap DT150 Review – Advanced Mosquito Trap
Homeowners know that living close to nature does have its downsides, especially when living in a hot and humid climate. Insects are becoming more numerous and more stubborn with each passing year and having them constantly pester guests and family can make it difficult to enjoy the outdoors. Luckily, various insect trap models, are constantly appearing online and in stores. However, the sheer number of choices and the limited information about how they function can make choosing the right one for your needs extremely difficult. This is why we have done this DynaTrap DT150 review because we think the product is worth the money.
DynaTrap has been in the business of designing and manufacturing insect traps since 2010, time in which it has produced and sold countless devices that are designed to protect both homes, as well as commercial spaces from insects. The company has come up with models that use a variety of technologies in order to draw in, capture, and kill insects, however, one model, the DT150 changes the formula and offers a less intrusive and aggressive way to get the job done. The insect trap is quickly growing in popularity due to its efficiency, flexibility, and durability.
One of the main reasons behind its success is the fact that it is far more efficient than other models and that it packs enough power to protect a 300sq feet area. Also, the fact that it does not emit any odors makes it useful for both indoor locations as well as outdoor ones. You should be very careful with indoor mosquito traps in kitchen areas, cause mosquitos can carry all sorts of diseases.
The Technology that Powers the DynaTrap DT150
The heart of the DT150 is a double lure system that can attract a wide variety of insects:
- UV Light – A UV lightbulb first attracts the insects by simulating daylight. The light can be seen from a distance of 300sq feet;
- Titanium dioxide-coated surface – The material constantly releases CO2, the same a person would when breathing. This acts as a second lure, and draws the insects in the range of the fan;
- Suction fan – The fan then pulls insects into the catch basket;
Once trapped, the insects typically dehydrate and die within 24 hours. The basket must be emptied at regular intervals; however, this usually depends on how fast it fills up when the trap is used in your area. Furthermore, this is the only part that will require cleaning, which can be done by simply emptying it and then using soap to get rid of stains.
This double lure system is efficient both indoors as well as outdoors and is one of the safest out there. While it is most useful in exterior spaces, the device has been designed to be used inside the home as well. The trap does not use any kind of toxic materials or poisons, so it is safe to use around children, and the amount of CO2 that is generated does not exceed that produced by a person. Also, the Dynatrap DT150 does not use any kind of electrified element in order to kill or deter the insects, so there is nothing that can create unpleasant odors. It is also important to mention that the fan is extremely quiet so the trap can be left on during the night without having to worry about it producing enough noise to wake up family members.
The human eye is not designed to see the UV spectrum, so the light generated is essentially invisible. Only pets and insects are able to detect it. This having been said, the UV light generated by the trap is weak enough to not bother pets but strong enough to attract all insects around it. The DT150 does not, by any means, generate observable light in the way a regular lamp would.
As for the types of insects that the technology is effective against, keep in mind that all bugs, except cockroaches, are drawn to both, light as well as CO2. In other words, everything from mosquitoes to flies will be caught in the trap.
The system essentially offers a clean alternative to pesticides, bug zappers, or traps that rely on chemicals in order to attract insects.
The DynaTrap DT150 Ultralight Insect Trap
- Manufacturer: DynaTrap
- Product Type: UV + CO2 lure
- Weight: 1.2 pounds
- Maintenance: Empty catch basket when full and clean with soap and water
- Range: up to 300sq feet
- Power: 110V AC
- Safety: No chemicals substances and no hazardous surfaces that could make the device dangerous to handle or to keep turned on for long periods of time.
- Notable features: Double lure system, whisper-quiet fan;
- Dual-lure: The UV light does a great job at attracting bugs during the night, and the CO2 tricks them during the day, however, when combined, the two create a highly efficient system that is irresistible to insects;
- Non-toxic: Unlike other similar traps, the DT150 does not use scented substances or harmful substances, making it ideal for indoor use;
- Silent – The trap does not have electricity going through the catch basket or any other part that may produce noise. The only electrical moving component is the fan that is silent enough that it is easy to forget that the device is on;
- Extremely light – The entire trap weighs only 1.2 pounds making it extremely easy to carry around from one room to another, or to hang up on a branch;
- No batteries – The trap must be plugged in in order to function and this may limit its usefulness. While it may not be an issue indoors, you will require extension cables in order to place it further from the home;
- Lightbulb not replaceable – The UV lightbulb that is essentially the heart of the trap cannot be replaced, however, it is rated to function for at least 20,000 hours;
Insects tend to be a problem regardless of region or season. And, while most manufacturers are looking to develop more destructive insect traps, such as bug zappers, DynaTrap has found an environmentally friendly solution that works great all day, every day.
The Dynatrap DT150 is light enough to hang anywhere around the house and the fact that it does not use any chemicals also makes it safe to use inside the home. Most other models that we have encountered and tested are either too noisy and can become uncomfortable to have around or use sweet-smelling substances that can quickly fill a room.
Overall, the Dynatrap DT150 is silent, extremely effective, and can also be used indoors. Its effectiveness is due to the fact that it uses two very different lures in order to trap insects. While it may not have the highest range of the devices that are commercially available, it is guaranteed to be safe to use, environmentally friendly, and will not disturb pets with loud noises.
However, it does also have one disadvantage: it must be plugged in order to function. There is no way to put batteries in it, which may make it impractical for those looking for an insect trap that they can take with them when going camping. Its dependency on an outlet also means that it will have to be used near the home, or in combination with an extension cord.
On the other hand, not having an integrated rechargeable battery, or slots for regular ones, also means that the device is lighter than other models.
It is difficult to say if the advantages outweigh the disadvantages due to the fact that it all depends on the particular needs of each individual. The trap is great to use in or around the home, but its usefulness tends to fade away when requiring a device that you can carry around with you, or if you have a larger yard and do not want to use multiple extension cords in order to power it.
No reviews yet