It can be your best friend camping, or in your backyard, especially if there are flies, mosquitos, or any other smaller insects. This is our take on this market leading solution for mosquitos and flies, this will be our Elucto Electric Bug Zapper review. Although it’s not manufactured by a company that’s been around for decades, it is making a lot of “noise”. Here are a few words on Elucto. Once we get to know them, we will dive deeper and analyze the Elucto Handheld Bug Zapper in great detail!
Who are Elucto?
Elucto has been in business since 2015 when it released the first product that bears its brand. The company is based out of Taipei and sells its devices on a global scale. The manufacturer currently produces and sells only 3 products two of which are electric bug zapper swatters. While relatively young by economic standards, Elucto has designed a product that is both durable and affordable that has quickly become a favorite tool for those who live in areas where insects are a problem.
The company produces two types of electric bug swatters, both of which are extremely popular among homeowners and camping enthusiasts from all over the world. They are often seen in bug zapper reviews and is considered to offer a great balance between affordability, build quality and effectiveness.
Elucto has designed both models to be virtually identical, with the only difference being that one is smaller than the other. The two devices are similar in terms of internal components, materials, and overall shape. Furthermore, they are both similar in terms of efficiency when it comes to zapping insects of all sizes.
What is the Technology that Powers the Electric Bug Zapper Fly Swatter?
The Electric Bug Zapper Fly Swatter from Elucto is often seen in “Top 10” items that rank the best handheld bug zappers that are currently on the market. Its durability and simplicity have made it one of the most appreciated electric swatters around.
The basic functioning principle is similar to that of a mounted fly zapper. Electricity passes through a metal grate that can kill insects when they come into contact with it. However, unlike their fixed counterparts which only target certain insects, the swatter is efficient against any species. Furthermore, mounted fly zappers rely on UV lightbulbs and pheromone lures that can attract insects. The swatter is much simpler in design and requires to be swung towards the target. Once an insect touches the electrified grate, it is instantly killed. Smaller insects are typically burned completely, while larger ones are electrocuted and will fall to the ground.
A Simple Outdoor and Indoor Electric Swatter Built using Quality Materials
The electric bug swatter has no moving parts, so there is nothing that could break. The shell of the device is made from a light yet extremely durable impact-resistant plastic. The swatter can be dropped and hit against furniture without breaking. Furthermore, the entire shell is made of only two parts, one being the lid of the battery compartment, so there is nothing that could detach in the middle of a swing.
Elucto believes in the durability of its device so much that it offers one year of full warranty for all electric swatters. If the internal stop working, or if the shell comes apart, it will be replaced by the manufacturer.
Safe for People and the Environment
The Elucto Electric Fly Swatter features a single button that controls its operation. Designed as a safety feature to prevent children from electrocuting themselves, the manual activation needs to be pressed each time you intend to swing the device. Once pressed, a green light will indicate that the swatter is charged and ready to be used. The button has specifically been made to be challenging to press to ensure that only adults can use the Elucto Electric Swatter.
That said, it is essential to keep in mind that touching the charged swatter will not cause serious harm. You will get a shock, which can be painful; however, it will not damage the skin. The Electric Fly Swatter Elucto is also safe to use near animals, as the electrical current that passes through the grate can only kill insects. Again, keep in mind that the shock does hurt and can even pass through the fur of pets, so you should always be careful that the swatter only hits insects.
Unlike static fly zappers that use chemical lures, the swatter does not use any pheromones or other substances, making it environmentally friendly. The insects that it hits are electrocuted and burned and can be quickly reabsorbed by the environment.
Specifications of the Elucto Electric Bug Zapper
- Manufacturer: Elucto
- Product Type: Electrified grate
- Weight: 5.4 ounces
- Maintenance: The grid must be cleaned using a damp cloth when it gets dirty. Also, the batteries need to be replaced after using it for prolonged periods
- Range: It depends on the user. The swatter measures 1 x 6.1 x 18.2 inches; however, the range depends mostly on the reach on the one holding it
- Power: 2 AA batteries
- Safety: The safety button must be pressed every time the swatter is used. The electrified grate cannot harm humans or animals; however, they will be shocked if they touch it
- Notable features: Safety button, comfortable grip, rugged design, wires are spaced at 1/8 inches
One of the main benefits of using an electric swatter as an alternative to a fixed fly or mosquito zapper is the fact that it offers greater mobility. Mounted devices are usually much heavier, bulkier and need to be hung up on a branch or a hook. They are designed around the idea that the insects must be lured in and this can take a lot of time. Furthermore, they require adequate pheromone lures that must be replaced regularly.
On the other hand, a swatter offers a more hands-on approach. You can turn it on, hit the insects with it and the problem is resolved. Furthermore, an electric swatter is much more practical to carry around when going camping as it is lighter than a fixed fly zapper and does not require to be plugged in to function. The models from Elucto only need 2 AA batteries to function. That said, no device is perfect, and the model from Elucto is no different than the rest in this aspect.
Pros of the Elucto Electric Bug Zapper
- Durable – The shell of the swatter is impact resistant and will not be damaged if you hit something during a swing;
- Easy to carry – Its low weight and compact form-factor make it ideal for camping trips or to move around the house;
- Can be used against any insect – The separation between the wires of the grid is 1/8-inch, making it ideal for smaller insects such as house flies;
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors – The device is effective both indoors as well as outdoors;
- Safety button – The safety button ensures that children will not activate it by mistake and shock themselves;
- Runs on batteries – No outlet access is required to use it;
- Can kill Yellow Jackets – The swatter has enough power to kill yellow jackets in one or two hits;
Cons of the Elucto Bug Zapper
- Temporary solution – Unlike the fixed zappers that constantly attract insects and kill them, the swatter is only useful for getting rid of the ones that fly nearby. Also, the device has no way of attracting flies to it;
- Using it can become exhausting after a while – Despite weighing only 5.4 ounces, swinging it around for extended periods can become exhausting. While efficient for killing isolated insects, it is not designed for constant use over a day;
- Some insects may be harder to kill – Larger insects may be more challenging to kill, requiring that you hit them 2-3 times before they finally die;
- Insects can get stuck on the wires – Certain insects can get stuck on the cables, especially if hit with enough force. This can make cleaning the grate somewhat difficult;
Elucto Electric Bug Zapper Review Summary
The Electric Bug Zapper Fly Swatter from Elucto is one of the most popular devices of its type. Its increased durability and effectiveness make it great to have in any scenario, especially when also taking into account that it has a small price tag.
Those who are looking for a device that they can use to get rid of the insects in their yard may not find a swatter extremely useful because it is a manual device. It has no way of attracting insects to it and must be swung into their direction to get the job done. Furthermore, while it does not require to be plugged in, the batteries that power the swatter do limit its ability to dispatch insects quickly. In some cases, you may find that 2 or more hits may be required to kill them.
Great to Have for the Home and Camping Trips
Overall, the device is not designed to replace a fixed insect zapper. Those devices are meant to be left plugged, unattended, for extended periods so that they can constantly get rid of any insect that comes into their range. However, The Elucto Swatter is excellent for interior areas where a couple of insects have gotten in. Also, it is useful to have when going camping because the batteries can last for at least a week or two before they need to be replaced.
No reviews yet