The New BK-15D Electronic Insect Killer from Flowtron
Few people realize that Flowtron is indirectly in business for over 90 years. The company started out as Armatron International, in 1920. The manufacturer used to produce and sell automobile radios. Over the years, the company has created the Flowtron Outdoor Products Division, in order to tackle the outdoor and lawn equipment market. The Flowtron BK-15D has been on the market for a while, and for a very good reason.
The parent company has created numerous products, using both old and new tech, cementing its reputation as a manufacturer that values quality and durability. This also translates into the design of the equipment produced by Flowtron, which has recently started to grow in popularity due to the worldwide success of devices such as the Flowtron KB-15D Electronic Insect Killer.
Flowtron – From automobile radios to Outdoor equipment
The reason behind Flowtron’s increasing popularity is the fact that specialists that have worked in order divisions of the parent company have pooled their knowledge in order to make some of the most powerful and durable equipment on the market. Most products released by the manufacturer usually rank high on outdoor equipment top 10 articles and are very well received by professionals as well as homeowners. It is also important to mention that all devices are produced in the USA, so manufacturing quality is guaranteed.
New technologies that are based on tried and proven concepts
The main objective of Flowtron in designing the BK-15D was to build an extremely hands-off device that could be used for extended periods of time with minimum maintenance. As a result, the insect killer does not necessarily contain new technologies, but rather updated versions that have proven to be effective in the past.
One of the elements that are the easiest to notice is the shell of the device, which is built from a durable polycarbonate material that is also used for industrial equipment. The shell is impact and scratch-resistant and can be left outdoors for weeks or months without degrading. If you need an indoor solution, you might want to check our indoor mosquito traps.
The killing grid of the device is a patented design that, unlike that of other models, cannot get clogged and requires close to no maintenance. Also, the hum produced by the insect killer while it is in stand-by is barely noticeable, making it ideal for any location. Furthermore, the grid and the UV light use very little power and can basically be left plugged in all the time without having to worry about the electrical bill.
Double lure system with a lot of flexibility
The BK-15D uses a double lure system in order to attract insects more efficiently:
- A UV lightbulb – the 15watt UV lightbulb does not appear to shine brightly to the human eye, however, insects can see the light from large distances and are automatically drawn to it;
- A pheromone cartridge – the pheromone cartridge increases the device’s ability to attract insects. Its smell can only be detected by insects and is not toxic to humans or animals;
The two lures can easily cover an area of ½ acres and are effective regardless of season or time of the day. The UV lightbulb is more efficient during the night, especially if there are no other light sources to distract the insects, and the pheromone lure works great during the day, especially if there is a light breeze that can carry the smell over a greater distance.
It is also important to mention that the UV bulbs are sold by the manufacturer and can easily be replaced without having to use tools. The pheromone cartridges are also sold by Flowtron, in boxes of six. One of these usually lasts around 30 days, after which it will still attract insects, but its effectiveness will drop dramatically.
The BK-15D may not by a high-tech piece of equipment, however, the model is extremely popular among homeowners and farmers due to its effectiveness. The device uses little power and the only components that can potentially break down are very affordable and easy to replace.
- Manufacturer: Flowtron
- Product Type: UV Light Bulb and Pheromone lure
- Weight: 4.14 pounds;
- Maintenance: The pheromone lure must be replaced every 30 days, and the UV light bulb every 8 months
- Range: ½ acres, outdoor only
- Power: 110AC
- Safety: The device should be installed at least 25-feet from areas that see human activity. The pheromone cartridges are not dangerous, nor the other components, however, body parts from the insects that are zapped can be propelled up to seven feet
- Notable features: Rugged design, weatherproof, dual-lure system, patented killing grid
The device is simple in design, making it extremely reliable. Its industrial-grade materials and weatherproof construction place it above other brands, however, there are disadvantages as well. While none of them are potentially deal-breaking, they may limit the usefulness of the insect killer.
Pros of the Flowtron BK-15D
- Double lure system – The pheromone cartridges last for up to 30 days and can attract only mosquitoes from a very large area, while the UV light bulb draws in any type of insect. Together, the two lures form a system that is just as effective during the night as it is during the day;
- Replaceable UV light bulbs – The UV bulbs can be easily replaced with ones bought directly from the manufacturer. The installation process does not require any tools and can be performed without any kind of technical knowledge;
- Non-clogging grid – The patented killing grid has been designed to require minimal maintenance. It can effectively kill insects without getting clogged. They will simply fall to the ground and be reabsorbed into the environment;
- Free pheromone lure – The device comes with a free mosquito pheromone cartridge, so it can be simply plugged in and used right out of the box;
- Silent – The BK-15D can barely be heard during stand-by and the noise created when killing an insect is surprisingly silent;
- Very light – The entire device only weighs 4.14 pounds, allowing owners to hang it on tree branches;
Cons of the Flowtron BK-15D
- No collection tray – the insect trap does not have a collection tray to catch the killed insects. Over time, insects can pile up under the device, making it impractical to use above concrete surfaces where they would not be able to be reabsorbed into the environment;
- Short cable – The power cable of the BK-15D only measures 9”, which is not enough to plug it into an outlet. An extension cable is required in order to use it, especially when considering that the manufacturer recommends that it be placed 25-feet away from populated areas;
- Only for outdoor use – The model can only be used in outdoor areas and must be placed away from areas where people are present. This may severely restrict its use and make it impractical for individuals who wanted an all-in-one device;
The BK-15D is lighter and has a shorter range than other models from Flowtron, however, it is just as effective at killing insects. Anyone who has a large yard will find that it can be a useful tool against mosquitoes, flies, and moths. This having been said, the fact that it does not have a collection tray and that body parts from insects can be flung up to seven feet from the device, makes positioning it properly important.
Placing the device in the middle of an open area will enable it to efficiently use both the lures in order to attract insects in a ½ acre area around it, although you will have to take into consideration that it does not work with batteries and must be plugged in at all times.
Flowtron BK-15D Review Summary
Those who live in hot, rainy areas know that insects can quickly become annoying. While chemical insecticides are always an option, they are harmful to the environment and can even be dangerous to nearby individuals. The BK-15D Insect Killer from Flowtron offers a less damaging way to get rid of insects.
The model’s rugged design makes it safe to use in all climates and all types of weather. The insect killer is, for all intents and purposes, a device that you can turn on and forget about. You will, however, have to keep in mind that the pheromone cartridge must be replaced every 30 days. Without it, the device’s ability to attract insects will be lowered significantly.
Homeowners who simply need an effective outdoor insect killer that can cover a large area will find the BK-15D useful. The device can be left out overnight, on any weather. The weatherproof design and the durable materials that are used in making it ensure that it will last for at least a couple of years.
This having been said, its lower price tag also comes with a few disadvantages. First of all, the power cable is extremely short and an extension cord is required in order to be able to use it at all. Secondly, the model does not have a collection drawer, so all the insects that are killed will simply drop on the ground. This may not be an issue in areas where there are not a lot of insects, but in places where they are abundant, you may find that they will start piling up under the device.
No reviews yet